Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 17 November 2014

David's Brent! (A new Yare Valley tick!)

The weather forecast was absolutely dismal, but since I had to go and post a bunch of meteorites, I thought I'd get booted and suited and have a walk around Cantley.

For a mile I saw nothing but a few Swans, Lapwings and Black-headed Gulls, but, as I reached the little pumping station, I heard a flock of Canada Geese approaching from the south. As I scanned them, I picked out a dark-bellied Brent Goose! A new bird on the patch for me, and a good one to have clawed back from Mr Lewis! Only ever distant, but the shots are conclusive... unlike the next bird I saw! In the distance past the Station Cottages I could make out more geese as well as an obvious raptor perched peregrine-like on a gatepost. When it flew, however, it was obviously a Buzzard: but Common or Rough-legged? It has a white tail with dark sub-terminal band...

A move to Buckenham revealed that, because of the continued work on the riverbank, the geese from the grazing marsh have relocated to arable land around Hassingham Church. Two white birds among the Pinkfeet caused some initial excitement, but seemed to be the usual 'Heinz 57s' that hang around with the Greylag flock. Still: seen distantly along the Acle Straight...
 












No comments: