Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 15 October 2015

Frantic Fen tick! Great Grey Shrike at Strumpshaw.

Well: I didn't have to wait long to try out the new camera! I glanced at the RBA map and saw a yellow square at Strumpshaw: a Great Grey Shrike!

I was in the middle of putting together a big order and getting ready for the Cambridge Mineral Show, but I dropped everything and whizzed down to Strumpshaw. A check at Reception revealed that no-one had seen the Shrike since before lunch, but I thought I'd have a look anyway. I stopped at Fen Hide, where Adrian confirmed he hadn't seen the bird: suddenly there it was! Distant, but unmistakeable!

It seemed I might get better (!) views from the river bank, so I scuttled round and, after a bit of searching, relocated it about half a mile away, the other side of Accidental Broad.

A Fen tick: only the second Shrike I've seen there in 30 years of visiting regularly!
 




No comments: