Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 25 March 2016

Garganey at Strumpshaw and Buzzard-fest on the Heath!

Following a four-mile cycle ride (the first for Linda and me since we bought our new bikes) a walk around the Fen seemed a good idea, given the glorious Spring weather. Almost the first bird we saw - and heard - was the elusive Penduline Tit, just before the sluice in company with Long-tailed Tits. I clicked away, but as I tried to review the images I saw the dreaded message 'No card'. I'd left my heavy Jack Pyke camo at home with all my spare SD cards and had failed to check that I'd replaced the one in the camera! Oh dear! (Or words to that effect!)

We carried on round to Tower Hide, where we quickly added a pair of Garganey, several Chiffchaffs and a Buzzard to the list, but I was still kicking myself for my failure to check the camera. On the way back to the car we bumped into photographer Elizabeth Dack, who kindly lent me an SD card. Lin agreed to pick me up in an hour, so I scuttled back to Tower Hide to capture some distant images of the Garganeys and of the tattiest Water Deer I've ever seen!. Thanks Elizabeth!

Later, while I was putting a new pump in the splash pool in our garden, Linda called out that a group of Buzzards were circling high overhead: sure enough six of these beautiful raptors passed over the garden in tight formation, calling continually. A terrific short session!














No comments: