Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 20 June 2016

Caspian Tern at Breydon Water

Being forced to stay in all morning waiting for a plumber was not too frustrating, because it poured with rain until 1.00-ish. As soon as the tooth-sucking and inflated estimates were finished, I flung on my Jack Pyke and headed east to Breydon.

When I arrived on the north wall there was a small gallery of familiar faces who confirmed that the target bird - a Caspian Tern - had been present all morning, but had flown off ten minutes before I arrived. I always enjoy the craik at these 'mini-twitches', so stayed to chat with Yare Valley regular David and knowledgeable - and friendly - PhD student Kayn Forbes. Kayn has taken probably the best images I've seen of the Great Knot, using a decent-quality bridge camera. It was he who rediscovered the Caspian Tern as it arrived on the distant mud flats, allowing some very dodgy shots!

Home it time to cook veggie bacon & asparagus olives in a béchamel sauce (and half a bottle of excellent Cotes du Rhone!)







No comments: