Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 21 October 2016

Postcards from the East Coast!

With some decent northerlies forecast, I thought I'd have a bit of a seawatch at Walcott. The tide was right in and the waves were splashing over the sea defences: very atmospheric! In the event, though, very little was moving past: a few Guillemots, Gannets and Red-throated Divers as well as flocks of Teal, Wigeon, Brents and Eiders. The super-tame Turnstones were squabbling over invisible specks of food on the sea wall, allowing some great photos of these charming little birds.

I headed south to Horsey, parking at the western end of the Nelson Head road, from where I walked out to the dunes. Lots of newly arrived Redwings skittered along the track, always just to far for worthwhile photography. I fancy I heard a Ring Ouzel chacking away with one group. Stonechats were everywhere: in the fields, hedges and reed beds as well as on the wires along the Horsey road.

Nothing much out on the grazing marshes (just a few Marsh Harriers) so I carried on to take a peep at the seals. About 100 or so were hauled up on the beach, carefully watched over by the Warden. Lots of canoodling going on, as well as the odd tussle between rival males. How fortunate I am to live in this beautiful county....








 








No comments: