Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 2 July 2017

My best day in the field: Purple Heron, Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth, Clearwing and much more!

More or less on a whim, Linda and I agreed to meet up for lunch with chums Peter and Sue at the curiously-named Parrot and Punchbowl Inn. Since this is about ten minutes from Minsmere, Linda and I decided to make an early start and try for the Purple Heron that's occasionally been seen  from Bittern Hide. Suffice it to say (and I'll expand this account tomorrow, I'm afraid!) we not only enjoyed fantastic prolonged views of this curious bird, but added Bittern (2) and Hobby (3) to the tally without moving!

Walking back to the Reserve Centre we spotted an Oak dripping with Purple Hairstreaks - thirty plus - and even managed a few photos. After tea we walked down the Sandy Wall where, to my absolute delight, we found half a dozen Six-belted Clearwings - all by ourselves! I had no idea they are so weeny!

As we were leaving we noticed a commotion by the Reception Buddleias: to our amazement and delight a Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth was feeding at close range! A long-sought after species, seen incredibly well!

After further adventures (see tomorrow's post) we headed home, only to find a Humming Bird Hawkmoth nectaring at dusk in our garden!











 





No comments: