Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 31 December 2017

Insects! Review of the year.

As regular readers might know, I'm pretty keen on butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies, but largely steer clear of moths: there are just too many of them! However, there are some moths that are so totally intriguing and terrific to look at that I make an exception.

This year I actually became quite obsessive in my attempts to find and photograph Clearwing moths. I had intended to buy a set of pheromone lures, but had left it too late: however, great naturalist and all-round good bloke Rob Holmes lent me his for a few days. In the event, though, the Clearwings I found were without chemical assistance! I'm determined to add to my haul in 2018...

Despite several focused attempts, I still haven't seen a Common Hawker in Norfolk or White-legged Damselfly: I did reacquaint with Scarce Emerald at Thompson Common and Willow Emeralds continue to expand their range - I even had one in the garden!

My favourite insects of the year, however, were the Hummingbird Hawkmoths that arrived early and stayed late in the garden and a superb Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth at Minsmere.










No comments: